75th Annual Dogwood Parade
The 75th Dogwood Parade was held this past Saturday, May 19th. The parade began in 1943 as a way to raise money for WWII. The name comes from a retired Army Major General Edward C. Shannon who dedicated a dogwood tree in Reeves Park as a memorial to the men and woman of the Armed Forces, many whom had died in active service. The first parade welcomed an estimated 7,500 visitors, and the first Dogwood Queen was 1943 Phoenixville High School graduate Regina Glowaki, who was elected by her fellow student through the sale of War Bonds and War Stamps.